The East Chilliwack Fruit Growers Co-operative Association began when 23 farmers joined together to market their raspberries. The co-op was incorporated on February 17, 1947. According to Henry Dick in his historical overview in the East Chilliwack Agricultural Co-op: 50 years of service 1947 to 1997, there was a major migration of prairie farmers to East Chilliwack between 1944 and 1946. Mr. Dick described these newcomers as "conscientious citizens who brought with them an inherent work ethic." He goes on to observe that "By adding poultry and hog raising and the planting of family-sized raspberry and strawberry acreages to the community's mainstay of dairy farming, they launched the area's mixed farming and bolstered their incomes."
The first year of operation, 1947, was a success, with post-war Great Britain purchasing the entire production of 300 tons of raspberries. The following year, 1948, was an entirely different story. Britain was no longer dependant on Canada for its raspberry imports, and the financial return to the growers decreased by 50%. A change of approach was required. "The solution was to expand the co-op's operating base by entering the feed supply business, a move that was compatible with the mixed farm operation of its members."
In 1953, the Co-op purchased a feed plant in the City of Chilliwack at a cost of $35,000. By 1960 the Co-op had constructed a state of the art feed manufacturing plant that "was one of the first all steel feed mill structures in all of Canada." The Co-op, that began with a $973.00 investment in 1947, grew to the point where, by 1997, annual sales exceeded $100 million. Shortly after their 50th Anniversary in 1997, Co-op members "approved a restructuring proposal to exchange co-operative shares for corporation shares", and with that decision a new company Agro Pacific Industries Ltd. was formed.