Shortly after the end of the Second World War The Canadian Legion War Memorial Committee started to compile a list of names of area residents that were killed in the latest conflict. Once the names were compiled the Legion intended to submit them to local authorities for consideration as to an appropriate memorial. Plans were in place to dedicate the roll at the same time as the dedication of the Canadian Legion War Memorial Center in April 1948. As well the Legion received word that city council was not adverse to adding the names to the War Memorial located in Memorial Park behind City Hall.
By the time of the Canadian Legion War Services Centre's dedication in April 1948 two types of rolls were created in the form of two bronze plaques. The first plaque included the names of the First World War and the second plaque the names of the Second World War. Together they were mounted in the hallway of the building. In August 1948, at an inter-municipal meeting, the war memorial being a shared responsibility of the City and Township, the proposal to add the Second World War names to the cenotaph was considered and approved. The cost to add the names to the memorial was $700.00, and at the same time a stone wreath was added to one side.
A month before Remembrance Day the 85 names of local men killed during the Second World War were added to the war memorial by W.T. Ferris of the Art Monument Company. The memorial was unveiled by D'Arcy Baldwin, November 11, 1948 with about 800 veterans, cadets, service organizations, Guides, Brownies and 800 members of the public in attendance. In June 1988 Robert Goesen of Chandler Memorials Ltd., Vancouver sandblasted “Korea 1950-53” to the east side of the memorial. The memorial does not include any names from this later conflict.