Submission Period: May 1 – November 4, 2023
Application Deadline: November 4, 2023
Exhibition Dates: January 18 – June 8, 2024
The Chilliwack Museum and Archives welcomes submissions for an upcoming exhibition, Our Journey for Inclusion: 70 Years of Innovation, developed in partnership with Chilliwack Society for Community Living (CSCL) and Inclusion BC, displayed at the Chilliwack Museum and Archives from January 18 – June 8, 2024.
This exhibition commemorates CSCL’s 70th anniversary, and examines the history of institutionalization of individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in British Columbia, while highlighting stories about the ongoing journey towards inclusion and access in Chilliwack.
Artists are encouraged to explore the theme of Wholeness, the principle that people with diverse abilities are whole and valued, and the importance of embracing disability as part of a person’s identity and a source of empowerment.
The Chilliwack Museum and Archives is mandated to create experiences with local and global significance that encourage dialogue and inspire action, and to collaborate with the community to ensure that we operate in a representative, participatory, and inclusive manner.
We encourage applications from all of our community members, including artists with diverse abilities, and prioritize submissions from IBPOC artists, and persons of diverse gender identities and sexual orientations (LGBTQ2S+). We welcome artists of all ages and experience levels to participate.
We encourage submissions in any medium, including, but not limited to: collage, print-making, sculpture, textiles, ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, audio/video performance, poetry, etc.
Submissions are limited to three artworks per artist; however, the final selection and placement of works will be determined by a jury committee made up of staff, board members, and stakeholders.
Terms and Conditions
- Artists must be available to exhibit their works between January 18 and June 8, 2024.
- Artworks cannot be removed from the show until the exhibition has closed, and de-installation is completed.
- The Chilliwack Museum and Archives reserves the right to refuse pieces based on size, medium, and content.
- Applicants will be notified about the status of their submissions following the selection of works by the jury committee in November, 2023.
- Artwork drop-off will be coordinated with the artist and the Chilliwack Museum and Archives once artwork has been selected for the exhibition.
- The Chilliwack Museum and Archives is not responsible for damage or theft that may occur during the exhibition.
Fees and Awards
- There is no fee for submitting an application.
- Three works will be selected, based on successful interpretation of the theme, to be awarded a cash prize in the following categories:
First Prize: $500 Second Prize: $300 Third Prize: $150
To apply, please email the required information below to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Word or PDF Document, containing:
- Contact information (Name, email address, and phone number)
- List of artworks submitted, including title, dimensions (width x depth x height), year created, and medium (3 artworks maximum)
- Artist biography (250 words maximum)
- Artist statement (250 words maximum)
Images of Each Artwork:
- 10 images maximum
- JPEG, PNG, or PDF files
- Each image file must not exceed 5 MB in size. File-sharing sites (WeTransfer, DropBox, etc.) are recommended.
- Please title each image file in the following format: lastname_firstname_title
For questions, or if you are unable to provide documentation of your work, please contact:
email@example.com or 604-795-5210 ext. 105