World War Two Roll of Honour



Private Eric Selcov Hansen
February 9, 1945
Canadian Scottish Regiment
Service Number K/99164. Original Unit of Service – 7 Company, C.F.C.
Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, Nijmegen, Netherlands. Age 26
Son of Edith Hansen, and stepson of Ejner Pedersen, Chilliwack, B.C.

Eric's family left Queensland, Australia for Chilliwack in 1928 and moved to Rosedale in 1932. For many years the Hansen family operated a farm on McConnell Road. They were actively involved in the Provincial Recreation Program and Eric specialized in track and field. He completed Grade 8 and then worked as a farm hand until the outbreak of war. Eric and his brother Dan enlisted in the Canadian Army in August 1940, and went overseas with the Canadian Forestry Corps. In Scotland he transferred to the Armoured Corps, and finally to the Canadian Scottish Regiment. Eric was wounded in Holland, October 28, 1944, but was able to rejoin his unit. He was killed in action February 9, 1945, as a battalion "runner" in the Nijmegan area.


Flying Officer Lynn Harvey
July 28, 1942
203 Squadron, Royal Air Force
Service Number101473
Alamein Memorial, Egypt. Age 29
Son of Lynn and Grace Harvey, Chilliwack, B.C.

Lynn Harvey joined the armed forces in June 1940 when in Kenya, East Africa. He was the son of Mr. Lynn and Grace Harvey of DeWolfe Avenue, Chilliwack. Lynn transferred to the Royal Air Force in April 1941 and arrived in England in August 1941. In March 1942 Lynn flew from England to Alexandria and was reported missing July 28, 1942. At the time of his death he was the pilot of a Maryland aircraft of 203 Squadron.



Lieutenant David Carson Hazelton
September 18, 1944
Royal Naval Reserve
Chatham Naval Memorial, England. Age Unknown
Son of Dawson Abraham and Annie Elizabeth Hazelton, Chilliwack, B.C.

David Hazelton was born in Vancouver in December 1919. He was a good athlete who played soccer, other running sports, and was an accomplished swimmer. His father served with the British Columbia Provincial Police and as a result the Hazeltons lived and attended school in many places. The Hazelton family moved to Chilliwack from Cloverdale when their father retired from the British Columbia Provincial Police. In 1937, David left school and went to train with the Merchant Marine in the United Kingdom. While training at the Merchant Marine School, David was appointed a Sub‑ Lieutenant with the Royal Naval Reserve. Upon completion of his course work he had completed two voyages to Vancouver when the war began. David served aboard H.M.S. Renown and was at the Battle of the Graf Spee, a German Battleship. He then joined H.M.S. Encounter in the Mediterranean until war broke out with Japan. In March 1942 David's vessel, H.M.S. Encounter, was part of 13 ships in the Battle of Java Sea. All vessels were lost including some Dutch vessels. H.M.S. Encounter was the last sunk and David was reported missing in action in March 1942, until it was learned in March 1943 that he was taken prisoner of war and was in a camp on Java. When the war changed for the worse for Japan, the Japanese began moving prisoners of war into Burma. It was at this point that David went missing a second time. It is thought that David Hazelton was lost September 18, 1944. Both of his parents died of natural causes during the Second World War, his father Dawson May 11, 1942 and his mother Annie, a dedicated volunteer with at St. Thomas Women’s Auxiliary of the I.O.D.E. and the Red Cross, passed away March 5, 1944.


Pilot Officer Thomas Douglas Holden
December 16, 1941
411 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force
Service Number J/15097
Pihen‑Les‑Guines Communal Cemetery France. Age 25
Son of Henry W.A. and Anna Northy Holden, Chilliwack, B.C.

"Tommy" Holden enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force in October 1940. Holden was born in Chilliwack and grew up on the family farm on Reeves Road. He went to school at Cheam and Chilliwack High School and was keenly interested in model aircraft building. A fellow enthusiast and friend was George Green who had earlier joined the Royal Air Force. On Tommy's last leave he desired to see Chilliwack from the air and Mr. Frank Edwards kindly provided a plane for him. Holden arrived overseas during Easter 1941 and served with 411 "Grizzly Bear" Squadron. On December 16, 1941, when flying a Spitfire aircraft on a cross‑channel sweep, Holden was shot down and killed. The International Red Cross reported, via Geneva, that Tommy Holden's body was recovered from the sea and buried at Pihen, Germany.




Chilliwack Museum and Archives 45820 Spadina Avenue, Chilliwack, BC, Canada V20 1T3 [604.795.5210]