World War Two Roll of Honour



Radio Technician Second Class Roger Jackman
February 21, 1945
United States Naval Reserve
Service Number 3865684
Tablets of the Missing, Honolulu Memorial, Punchbowl National Cemetery, Hawaii, U.S.A.
Age Unknown
Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Percy Jackman

Born in Olympia, Washington, Roger was a student at Chilliwack Central and Chilliwack High School. Roger was the sports editor for the 1942 C.H.S. annual which won the "Province Shield" for the best in British Columbia An active musician he was a member of the high school band and the Canadian Legion Band. In 1943 Roger, "Jack", joined the United States Naval Reserve and was trained in Washington, California and Texas. After training he served in the South Pacific and took part in the Lingayen operations. He lost his life near Iwo Jima, southeast of Japan as the result of enemy action, February 21, 1945 while aboard the U.S.S. Bismark Sea. His parents received, from the United States Navy Department, the posthumous award of the Purple Heart. The Purple Heart is awarded to individuals wounded in action or presented to the next of kin of the deceased.


Flight Lieutenant Terrance Patrick Jarvis
July 31, 1944
401 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force
Service Number J/11056
Bayeux War Cemetery, France. Age 29
Son of Sidney Earl and Norah O. Jarvis, Vancouver, B.C.
Husband of Phyllis Edna Jarvis, Vancouver, B.C.

Terrance Jarvis went to St. Augustine's School and Vancouver College. While at college he was a star football player. Prior to joining the R.C.A.F. he worked for B. & K. Logging and for the Vedder Logging Company. Before going overseas, in May 1943, he took advanced instructor's training. Terrance Jarvis served with 401 "Ram" Squadron, a Canadian day fighter unit. At the time of his death, July 31, 1944, he was flying a Spitfire on an armed reconnaissance mission over the Domfront area of France. Terrance’s aircraft was, intercepted by a German FW‑190 fighter but he was able to evade the enemy aircraft. He attacked and destroyed the FW-190, but in doing so ran his own wing into a tree and crashed. The aircraft exploded ten miles southeast of Vire, France. He was the husband of Phyllis Edna Jarvis of Vancouver and had two children, Wayne and Wendy.



Private Ralph Edmund Johnson
August 14, 1944
Royal Canadian Army Service Corps
Attached 12th Light Field Ambulance, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps
Service Number K/70098. Original Unit of Service – Irish Fusliers (V.R.)
Brettville‑Sur‑Laize Canadian War Cemetery, France. Age 25
Son of George E. and Christiana Johnson, Chilliwack, B.C.

Ralph Johnson was born at Central Butte, Saskatchewan on February 13, 1919. The Johnson family moved to Chilliwack in 1932 where Ralph continued with his education and participated in lacrosse, baseball and motorcycling. He worked for Ed Dumville as a farm worker but left to join the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps in Vancouver. Following training in Ontario and Quebec, Johnson transferred to a unit of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps and went overseas in September 1942. In July 1944 Johnson was attached to the 12th Light Field Ambulance Company as the driver of an ambulance. This field ambulance unit was part of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, and was engaged in moving casualties around Caen, France. Ralph Johnson was reported missing August 14, 1944, when he and Private F.C. Griffin, a medical orderly, did not return to their unit. On August 15, an officer of the British Columbia Regiment discovered a badly burned Canadian ambulance jeep and nearby two deceased Canadian soldiers. A shoulder flash of the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps was found which led authorities to concur that they had found Privates Griffin, and Johnson.


Flying Officer Maurice Jorgenson
December 5, 1944
354 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force
Service Number J/86953
Singapore Memorial. Age 22
Son of Marius and Elizabeth Jorgenson, Sardis, B.C.

The Jorgenson family moved to Rosedale from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the early 1930s. In Rosedale the family operated a garage and Maurice's father became active in the Provincial Recreation Program. Many Rosedale youths became participants in gymnastics, wrestling and boxing and Maurice was a successful wrestler and boxer. He was the runner‑up in the Dominion Wrestling Championships in 1939 and in the spring of 1940 he won the Greater Vancouver Welterweight Boxing Championship. Maurice attended Chilliwack High School and prior to his enlistment in the R.C.A.F. in September 1940, a social evening and novelty dance was held for Roy Gleig and himself. During the event, held at the East Chilliwack Women's Institute Hall, Frank Grainger presented Maurice with a signet ring. In 1941, still active in sports, Maurice won the Eastern Division welterweight title of the Inter Army/Air Force Trials. Maurice was first trained as an air frame mechanic but remustered to pilot and after graduation was stationed in the Bahamas flying bombers from Nassau to Africa on ferry flights. In November 1943 he was posted to Burma and subsequently to South East Asia command in Ceylon.




Chilliwack Museum and Archives 45820 Spadina Avenue, Chilliwack, BC, Canada V20 1T3 [604.795.5210]